Step-by-Step Guide to Drafting Wills and Trusts
Friday, May 11, 2018
9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
12601 W. 95th St
Lenexa, KS 66215
$349 / Each Additional
Registration Includes Course Book
Continuing Legal Education
- KS CLE - 7.00
- MO CLE - 7.20
CPE for Accountants
- CPE for Accountants/NASBA - 7.00
- Financial Planners - 7.00
- IACET - 0.60
Draft Enforceable Estate Planning Documents With These Practical Techniques
Do you have all the information you need to draft customized testamentary documents for each of your clients? Don't spend years gathering precious bits of legal practice wisdom - our experienced attorney faculty are here to share their time-tested methods of identifying clients' needs and creating custom-tailored wills and trusts to fit each specific situation. This legal primer offers all the tools and sample forms to get you started. Get the fundamental skills you need to build your estate planning practice - register today!
- Get practical will and trust drafting skills to speed up the process and give the testator's last wishes power.
- Stave off conflicts of interest with a clear determination of who your client is from the start.
- Learn how to deal with interested relatives who want to be present at all the planning meetings.
- Explore the pros and cons of using a revocable living trust in the will's stead and find out when it's a better option.
- Explore the functions and mechanics of major trust structures - and make certain you choose the right tool for each job.
- Give each provision full power with precise word choices - get sample forms to speed up the process.
- Make sure your remarried and unmarried clients know the default inheritance laws and help them make sure the right beneficiaries are assigned.
- Anticipate key tax issues, including individual income tax planning and trust taxation.
- Phrase the fiduciary and beneficiary designations to leave no room for interpretation.
- Help your clients make the tough medical decisions regarding long-term care, end-of-life and organ donation.
- Learn how to verify and document the testator's competency to close the door on any potential will contests.
Who Should Attend
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar offers foundational will and trust drafting skills that will benefit:
- Trust Officers and Personal Representatives
- Estate and Financial Planners
- Accountants and CPAs
- Tax Professionals
- Key Elements of Effective Wills
- Trusts as Alternatives to Wills
- Basic Tax Concerns
- Documenting Long-Term Care, Incapacity and End-of-Life Decisions
- Planning for Unmarried and Remarried Couples
Continuing Education Credit
Continuing Legal EducationCredit Hrs State
CLE 7.00 - KS*
CLE 7.20 - MO*
Financial Planners – Financial Planners: 7.00
International Association for Continuing Education Training – IACET: 0.60
National Association of State Boards of Accountancy – CPE for Accountants/NASBA: 7.00 *
* denotes specialty credits
Agenda / Content Covered
- KEY ELEMENTS OF EFFECTIVE WILLS
9:00 - 10:00, Michael J. Fischer
- Establishing Statutory Framework
- Types of Wills
- Verifying and Documenting the Testator's Competency
- Beneficiary Designations in Retirement Plans and Life Insurance
- Pension Distributions During and After Life
- Titling Assets
- Designating Fiduciaries
- Planning for Disabled Children
- Sample Will Verbiage
- Sample Forms
- Updating Will Documents
- TRUSTS AS ALTERNATIVES TO WILLS
10:15 - 11:15, Michael J. Fischer
- When to Recommend a Trust Over a Will
- Types and Functions of Trusts
- Selecting Trustee(s)
- Choosing Trust Situs
- Trust Funding Basics
- Sample Forms
- BASIC TAX CONCERNS
11:15 - 12:15, Kathleen R. Urbom
- Federal Estate and Gift Tax Update
- Individual Income Taxes - Issues You Need to Look At
- Frequently Asked Questions About Fiduciary Tax Returns
- Tax Deductions to Consider
- How to Recognize Potential Tax Issues
- DOCUMENTING LONG-TERM CARE, INCAPACITY AND END-OF-LIFE DECISIONS
1:15 - 2:15, Samantha Shepherd
- Basic Medicaid Planning
- Long-Term Care Options and Planning in a Nutshell
- Advance Medical Directives
- Powers of Attorney
- DNR Orders and Organ Donation Considerations
2:15 - 3:15, Anne-Linton Pond Hendrickson
- Defining Who Your Client is From the Start
- Handling Clients With Diminishing Mental Capacity
- Lawyers Acting as Fiduciaries
- Practicing Before the IRS
- Conflicts of Interest
- PLANNING FOR UNMARRIED AND REMARRIED COUPLES
3:30 - 4:30, Anne-Linton Pond Hendrickson
- Pre- and Post-Marital Agreements
- Planning for Children From Previous Marriage(s)
- Estate Planning for Same Sex Couples
MICHAEL J. FISCHER is an attorney with Payne & Jones Chartered, in Overland Park, Kansas. He practices in the firm's business practice group and handles entrepreneurial, business, tax, real estate, estate planning and related matters. Mr. Fischer earned his B.A., M.B.A. and J.D. degrees from the University of Kansas. He received an award and scholarship for being an "Outstanding Undergraduate Student in the Economics Department," and was recognized as Student of the Year and asked to give the commencement address while studying to attain his M.B.A. While in law school, Mr. Fischer received several C.A.L.I. awards for earning top honors in multiple subject areas, and lectured as a teaching assistant regarding the legal aspects of business for "Business Law 301." He works with entrepreneurs and business owners to assist them in creating and enacting succession plans aimed at minimizing any disruptions to the business and adverse tax consequences. Mr. Fischer is admitted to practice law in Kansas and Missouri, and is a member of the Kansas Bar Association.
ANNE-LINTON POND HENDRICKSON is a shareholder of Van Osdol PC in their Kansas City, Missouri office. Ms. Hendrickson is a valuable member of her firm’s litigation team, contributing knowledge of civil, criminal and courtroom procedures gained during a two year clerkship in Jackson County Circuit Court. Her practice areas include all aspects of civil litigation, criminal defense, juvenile and family law, and health care law. Ms. Hendrickson graduated with a B.A. degree from the College of William & Mary and she earned her J.D. degree from Creighton University School of Law. She is a leader in the field and is an active member of the Lawyer’s Association of Kansas City (LAKC). Ms. Hendrickson is also an active member of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association and is a graduate of the Kansas City Bar Leadership Academy. She is admitted to practice in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.
SAMANTHA SHEPHERD is the founding attorney of Shepherd Elder Law Group, LLC. Her practice areas encompass elder law, estate planning, long-term care planning and asset protection, Medicaid planning, Kansas and Missouri Medicaid applications and appeals, probate and trust administration, guardianships, and special needs trusts. Ms. Shepherd is a graduate of Boston College Law School, where she earned her J.D. degree. She earned her LL.M. degree, in estate planning, from the University of Missouri in Kansas City. Ms. Shepherd is a member of the National Board of NAELA (National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys) - an elected position. She is also a member of the Kansas and Missouri chapters of this organization. Previously, Ms. Shepherd served as the vice-chair of the Elder Law Committee for The Missouri Bar, as well as the chair of the Membership Committee for Missouri NAELA. She has also served on the Committee for the Missouri Seniors' Legal Helpline.
KATHLEEN R. URBOM is a sole practitioner in Topeka and Olathe, where she has a civil practice, including contract formation and litigation, business entities formation and governance, estate planning and probate, and special education law. She has spoken previously on special education law; landlord tenant law and end of life planning; including business succession, wills and trusts, and guardian conservatorships. Ms. Urbom earned her B.S. degree from St. Mary of the Plains College and her J.D. degree from Washburn University of Topeka. She is a member of the Kansas and Topeka bar associations, the Women's Attorneys Association of Topeka, and Jenny Mitchell Kellogg Circle.
Please refer to Continuing Education Credit FAQ for general information about seeking credit for your participation in one of our continuing education programs.
Additionally, our team of credit specialists are here to answer your specific credit-related questions weekdays 7am - 5pm Central:
Continuing Legal Education
International Association for Continuing Education Training
National Association of State Boards of Accountancy