Audio CD + Course Book
Find it Free and Fast on the Net: Strategies for Legal Research on the Web
|Audio CD + Course Book||
Continuing Legal Education
- WV CLE - 7.20
- NALA - 6.00
Do you have the most up-to-date tools to uncover the legal research you need at no cost? This guide will arm you with the skills you need to navigate through the essential elements of searches, discovering the invisible web, government internet sources and much more! Get valuable tips, techniques and strategies to harness the internet as an excellent resource. Order today!
- Finding Free Legal Research Sites and Free Case Law
- Discover the Invisible Web
- Government Internet Resources: Federal State and Local
- Investigative Research: Public Records and "Publicly Available" Information
- Locating Persons and Finding Background Information
- Legal Ethics Online and in Social Media
Continuing Education Credit
Continuing Legal Education – CLE: 7.20 WV - Credit Approval Expiration 02/22/2020 *
National Association of Legal Assistants, Inc. – NALA: 6.00 N - Credit Approval Expiration 02/22/2020 *
National Federation of Paralegal Associations, Inc. – NFPA
* denotes specialty credits
Agenda / Content Covered
- FINDING FREE LEGAL RESEARCH SITES AND FREE CASE LAW
9:00 - 10:00, Jennifer A. Lynch
- Finding the Shortcuts to Legal Research: Free Legal Portals and Meta-Sites
- Finding and Using Free, Full-Text Case Law Sites
- Learn About the Free (Poor Man's) "Shepards"
- Sample Briefs, Motions, Complaints and Settlements
- Uncover Jury Verdicts
- DISCOVER THE INVISIBLE WEB
10:15 - 11:15, Alyssa Lechmanik
- What is the Invisible Web?
- How Does it Differ From the Visible Web?
- Learn to Find "Invisible Documents"
- Where do Old Web Pages Go? Learn to Locate Them
- GOVERNMENT INTERNET RESOURCES: FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL
11:15 - 12:15, Alyssa Lechmanik
- Statutes, Bills and Legislative History
- Regulations and Agencies
- Find Court Opinions, Forms, Rules and Dockets
- INVESTIGATIVE RESEARCH: PUBLIC RECORDS AND "PUBLICLY AVAILABLE" INFORMATION
1:15 - 2:15, Alyssa Lechmanik
- Accessing Public Records
- Professional Licenses
- Criminal Records
- Vital Statistics: Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Records
- Real and Personal Property Records
- LOCATING PERSONS AND FINDING BACKGROUND INFORMATION
2:15 - 3:15, Eric R. Arnold
- Phone Numbers and Addresses of Missing People
- Social Security Numbers
- Neighbors, Relatives and Associates
- Mailing List Postings, Blogs, Etc.
- Attorneys, Judges and Experts
- Locating Companies for Due Diligence and Background Information
- LEGAL ETHICS ONLINE AND IN SOCIAL MEDIA
3:30 - 4:30, Eric R. Arnold
- Finding Ethics Opinions Online
- Online Privacy Laws and Their Effect on Legal Practice
- Communications via Email and Social Media
- Authenticating Online Evidence
- Social Media Use by Legal Professionals: Personal vs. Professional
*Any mention of specific products in this program is intended as part of a general overview and does not constitute NBI's endorsement or recommendation of any specific product or provider. This program is not sponsored by any technology or electronics provider.
ERIC R. ARNOLD is an attorney at Hendrickson & Long, PLLC, located in Charleston, West Virginia. Mr. Arnold practices in the areas of general business litigation, oil and gas defense, toxic tort, consumer credit/protection, and disability advocacy. He has participated in the writing and completion of numerous legal briefs at all levels of the state and federal court system. Mr. Arnold, a wheelchair-bound individual with a form of Muscular Dystrophy, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, possesses over 15 years of personal experience with the West Virginia DHHR, Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security (SSI/SSDI) programs. This includes case management of private healthcare and staffing on numerous state and federal waiver programs. Mr. Arnold graduated with his B.S. and M.B.A. degrees from West Virginia University and he earned his J.D. degree from West Virginia University College of Law.
ALYSSA LECHMANIK is an attorney in the Washington, D.C. office of Jackson & Campbell, P.C. Ms. Lechmanik practices in the area of insurance defense. She provides advice to insurance carrier clients in pre-litigation matters involving general liability policies, umbrella and excess policies and pollution legal liability policies. Ms. Lechmanik is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia. She graduated with her B.S. degree from Lehigh University and her J.D. degree from West Virginia University College of Law. Ms. Lechmanik is a member of The West Virginia State Bar and the Defense Research Institute (DRI).
JENNIFER A. LYNCH is an attorney in the Charleston, West Virginia office of Cipriani & Werner, P.C. Ms. Lynch focuses her practice in the areas of civil litigation, insurance defense, premises liability and employment law. She represents insurance companies, corporations, individuals, and government entities in a variety of claims, including complex civil litigation matters throughout West Virginia and Kentucky. Ms. Lynch is admitted to practice in West Virginia and Kentucky, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. She graduated with her B.A. degree from Miami University and she earned her J.D. degree from the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law. Ms. Lynch is a member of the American Bar Association, The West Virginia Bar Association, the Kentucky Bar Association and the Louisville Bar Association, as well as the Defense Research Institute.
Please refer to Continuing Education Credit FAQ for general information about seeking credit for your participation in one of our continuing education programs.
Additionally, our team of credit specialists are here to answer your specific credit-related questions weekdays 7am - 5pm Central:
Continuing Legal Education
National Association of Legal Assistants, Inc.
National Federation of Paralegal Associations, Inc.