Audio CD + Course Book
Complex Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Issues
|Audio CD + Course Book||
Statistics say that six out of ten drivers on the road carry inadequate or no insurance. With the largely voluntary nature of UM/UIM insurance coverage and rapidly changing statutory and case law, you have your work cut out for you. Don't struggle through the mountains of legalese alone. Order this in-depth analysis of current issues in the law and practice of UM/UIM, and get the latest legislative updates along with a balanced view of today's challenges.
- Determining Coverage and Valuing Damages in UM/UIM Cases
- Stacking Insurance Coverage and Uninsured Motorist Set-Offs
- Effective Settlement Negotiations and Arbitration
- Bad Faith - An Indelible Part of UM/UIM Practice?
- Special Issues That Can Make or Break Your Case
- Legal Ethics in Insurance Practice
Continuing Education Credit
Continuing Legal EducationCredit Hrs State Credit Approval Expiration
|CLE 7.20||NJ *||09/11/2018|
|CLE 7.00||NY *||12/07/2019|
|CLE 6.00||PA *||12/07/2019|
* denotes specialty credits
Agenda / Content Covered
- DETERMINING COVERAGE AND VALUING DAMAGES IN UM/UIM CASES
9:00 - 10:15, Written by Richard A. Greifinger. Presented by Richard A. Greifinger in Newark and Princeton.
- Legislative and Case Law Update
- Which Exceptions Apply in Your Case?
- 5 Difficult Scenarios of Insurance Coverage Interpretation
- How Much are Your Limbs Worth? Clarifying the Definition of "Serious Injury"
- Determining Loss of Capacity
- The Complexities of Applying the "Made Whole" Doctrine
- Valuing Soft Tissue and Emotional Distress
- Managing the Complexities of Wrongful Death Claims - Who is the Plaintiff?
- Tips for Working With Medical Experts
- STACKING INSURANCE COVERAGE AND UNINSURED MOTORIST SET-OFFS
10:30 - 11:45, Written by Wendy S. Bornstein. Presented by Wendy S. Bornstein in Newark and Princeton.
- When is a Negligent Motorist Considered Underinsured?
- Debating the Stacking of Limits for Private and Commercial Policyholders - What do the Courts Say?
- When is a Stacking Waiver No Longer Useful?
- Multiple Coverages
- Stacking in Cases of a Driver vs. Passenger
- Excess of Liability
- Uninsured Motorist Off-Sets: When is the Insurer Entitled to a Set-Off?
- Sample Off-Set Provisions
- Handling Common Uninsured Motorist Set-Offs
- Workers' Compensation
- Social Security
- Personal Injury Settlements
- Arbitrator Considerations
- EFFECTIVE SETTLEMENT NEGOTIATIONS AND ARBITRATION
12:45 - 1:45, Written by Scott M. Goldberg. Presented by Scott M. Goldberg in Newark and Princeton.
- Current Law and Latest Court Rulings
- Negotiation Techniques of the Masters
- Using Mediation to Your Advantage
- Arbitration vs. Litigation
- Gaining an Edge With Superior Document Submissions
- BAD FAITH - AN INDELIBLE PART OF UM/UIM PRACTICE?
1:45 - 2:30, Written by Martin S. Pappaterra. Presented by Bryan H. Mintz in Newark and Martin S. Pappaterra in Princeton.
- SPECIAL ISSUES THAT CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOUR CASE
2:30 - 3:15, Written by Martin S. Pappaterra. Presented by Bryan H. Mintz in Newark and Martin S. Pappaterra in Princeton.
- Preparation and Preservation of Claims
- Handling Conflicts of Law With Other States
- What if the Car has Caused an Accident Without Direct Contact?
- How Will the Latest Appellate Court Decisions Affect Your Practice?
- LEGAL ETHICS IN INSURANCE PRACTICE
3:30 - 4:30, Written by Richard A. Greifinger. Presented by Richard A. Greifinger in Newark and Princeton.
- Preserving Attorney-Client Privilege
- Determining and Collecting Attorneys' Fees
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest in Multiple Representation
WENDY S. BORNSTEIN is a partner with Pezzano Mickey & Bornstein, LLP. Ms. Bornstein practices plaintiff’s personal injury and is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a civil trial attorney. Before starting her own law practice, Ms. Bornstein spent several years representing nearly every insurance carrier in the state of New Jersey defending personal injury claims. That experience has given her the unique ability to know how insurance adjusters think and what they require in order to settle a claim. Ms. Bornstein is a frequent lecturer and also a private arbitrator. She earned her B.S. degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University and her J.D. Degree from Seton Hall University. (Newark and Princeton locations)
SCOTT M. GOLDBERG is a certified civil trial attorney at Petrillo & Goldberg, P.C. He is licensed to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, as well as before the U.S. Supreme Court, the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. District Court in New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania. Mr. Goldberg serves as an arbitrator in the Superior Court in Camden, Burlington and Gloucester counties. He has served as a Blue Ribbon panelist for civil actions as well. Mr. Goldberg also serves as a plaintiffs’ arbitrator for numerous area law firms for uninsured and underinsured motorist arbitrations. He is a member of the Camden County Bar Association. Mr. Goldberg has lectured on various litigation topics before medical organizations, American Trial Lawyers Association - New Jersey, Camden County Bar Association, New Jersey Association for Justice, and National Business Institute. He earned his B.A. degree, cum laude, from Dickinson College and his J.D. degree from Rutgers University in Camden. (Newark and Princeton locations)
RICHARD A. GREIFINGER is an attorney with the Law Offices of Richard A. Greifinger. He has maintained his practice in Newark, New Jersey for the past 34 years. Mr. Greifinger is admitted to practice in New Jersey, Florida and New York. He is a certified civil trial attorney. Mr. Greifinger has been named in New Jersey Super Lawyers in 2005 and 2007 - 2017. He was also named top 100 lawyers in New Jersey in 2012 and 2013. Mr. Greifinger earned his J.D. degree from Seton Hall University School of Law. (Newark and Princeton locations)
BRYAN H. MINTZ became a partner with Mintz & Geftic LLC in 2015. He is an experienced trial attorney who focuses his practice on complex litigation, involving contract and business disputes, products liability, class actions, medical malpractice, and personal injury litigation. Mr. Mintz has represented individuals in automobile, premises liability, wrongful death and survivorship, defamation, and various other negligence lawsuits. He has successfully recovered millions of dollars for his clients through mediation, arbitration and trial. Prior to joining Mintz & Geftic LLC, Mr. Mintz was a partner at Paris Ackerman & Schmierer, LLP, a Roseland, New Jersey law firm, where he was instrumental in recovering millions of dollars for his clients in class actions ranging from deceptive marketing practices to wage and hour violations. Before that, he was a senior litigation attorney in New Jersey’s oldest and largest law firm, McCarter & English LLP. Mr. Mintz has been selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list every year since 2014. He is currently licensed to practice law in New York and New Jersey; and admitted to practice before the courts of the District of New Jersey, the Eastern District of New York, and the Southern District of New York. Mr. Mintz is a member of the New York State and New Jersey State bar associations, as well as the New Jersey Association for Justice. He earned his B.A. degree from Rutgers College and his J.D. degree from Rutgers University School of Law, where he was a research assistant; a member of Hunter Advanced Moot Court; and served as research and writing and moot court teaching assistant. After law school, Mr. Mintz worked as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Robert Muir, Jr., Presiding Judge of the New Jersey Appellate Division. (Newark location)
MARTIN S. PAPPATERRA is an attorney with the Law Offices of Martin S. Pappaterra, where his main areas of practice are personal injury, civil litigation and products liability. Mr. Pappaterra is a frequent lecturer on a variety of litigation topics. He is a certified civil trial attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification. Mr. Pappaterra is a member of the Burlington County and Mercer County bar associations, The Association of Trial Lawyers of America-New Jersey, and the Mercer County Inn of Court. He is a former member of the District III-B Ethics Committee. Mr. Pappaterra earned his B.A. degree from Rutgers University and his J.D. degree from Rutgers University School of Law. (Princeton location)
Please refer to Continuing Education Credit FAQ for general information about seeking credit for your participation in one of our continuing education programs.
Additionally, our team of credit specialists are here to answer your specific credit-related questions weekdays 7am - 5pm Central:
Continuing Legal Education